The Weather in Our Neck of the Woods

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Are we Listening?


The picture on the right is Felicito, one of the brothers at the David church. He was our speaker Sunday. He had a really great message. One I have had on my mind alot, and one that Riverside is acting out as we speak.
He began by asking us what came with the gospel. What did it mean in our lives? What does it mean in our lives? How should we look now, as redeemed believers? What was different? What should be different? The lesson was powerful, and centered around our love for the Father, and for His people. I listened, contemplating his words, and impressed with his presentation as well. This was my second time to hear him preach.
As he progressed with the lesson, he reminded us of the definition of 'pure religion' - James 1:27 - look after widows and orphans in their distress... He explained that this was not solely for widows and orphans, but for anyone in distress or in need - the sick, the poor, the downtrodden. He spoke with fervor and conviction. He vowed to do more himself for those in need. He begged us to do the same. We were all moved. Lynn was moved, though he did not understand the entirety of the lesson. The body of believers shouted a unanimous "AMEN!" when we were encouraged to serve others. He spoke of opportunities he had seen and taken advantage of in the past week. He spoke of keeping our eyes and ears in tune with our community - a message Tim posted just this week. He spoke of simple acts making a big difference in someone's life.

Ok, many of you have heard this lesson, and many of you have been moved to action. The thing you did not see, and cannot from the picture is that Brother Felicito ( which means happiness, by the way) is blind and deaf. He can not walk without someone to guide him. He cannot take the Lord's supper without someone holding the cup for him. He could not stand at the pulpit were it not for another brother there just out of the picture, helping him return when he wanders away from the stand. He's out there showing Christ's compassion in his community every day. He, with many needs of his own is placing others above himself. What an example!
I went in to the building that morning groaning because I was tired and sore from the activities of Saturday. How selfish. How silly. How un-Christlike! The really sad thing is that I will need this lesson again, and again. I am ever so grateful for Brother Felicito, and his message. I wish I could say that I didn't need it, but I really did. How about you?

Thanks, Brother!

I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live but Christ lives in me....may it ever be so in my life, and yours!

joy

No comments: